Last week, I harvested my first two zucchini. I mean first ever– last year the zucchini didn’t quite survive the aphids. These little squash were so perfect, I could have sworn someone had run to the supermarket, bought some zucchini and thrown them underneath my plants. I got such a thrill out of this– the fact that we had thrown some seeds in the ground and gotten these beautiful squash.
This, along with a conversation with Bit o’ Honey got me thinking about how many ways there are to be creative in daily life, outside of traditional art. Some of my favorites are cooking, baking, writing, gardening, dreaming, reading aloud, and thinking. What about you? How do you get creative in your day to day life? Here are 10 more ideas I came up with about how to . . .
1) Plant some seeds- preferably ones that will produce food.
2) Make up a new sandwich.
3) Bake a cake.
4. Take pictures of your daily life and create an album (digital or physical) for a friend or relative living far away.
5. Plan a food-themed party (pie party, dog days of summer feast, tomato luncheon, Ethiopian dinner).
6. Paint your mailbox or a sign for the outside of your house that says your address or a welcome greeting.
7. Enlarge and frame some favorite photos.
8. Hand-make a birthday, holiday, or just because card for someone you love.
9. Hand write a letter to someone you talk to all of the time or haven’t talked to in a long time.
10. Draw a note for yourself or someone else (for example: “meet you at the library at 6:30” might consist of a building plus a book, two stick figures, and a clock that reads 6:30)