The more I think about it, the more I realize that I (and perhaps everyone?) have one million and one interests, or delights if you will. The more I indulge these delights and bring them into my life, the more my life becomes a great creative adventure. It is often tempting to think that I must pick one interest and focus on it, but truly that’s just not who I am—I’ve always had a million different interests and probably always will!
And really, when it comes down to it, isn’t everyone like this? The more you give room and space to all the things that delight you, the more delights you discover. And your life can be a beautiful tapestry of them all, if you let it be.
Here are some of the delights I’ve been indulging lately:
1. I went on a wildflower walk this past weekend lead by a local naturalist. I was so excited to (finally) learn the names of some of the local flowers. And I was pleased as punch to be able to remember and identify a few on my run this morning! I saw Cinquefoil, Salsify, and Wild Flax!
2. I’ve been in a dairy experimenting phase lately—I’ve been trying out new ice cream and cheese recipes with enthusiasm. This has resulted in divine chocolate gelato and sweet, milky queso blanco on my table this week. Yum Yum Yum!
3. I’ve been vegetable gardening with gusto this spring! (Perhaps I’m making up for last year when we were in the middle of moving and so I couldn’t really plant anything). I set up a container garden on my back patio earlier this spring, and now I have lettuce and kale just about ready to pick; carrots, arugula and chard coming along nicely; and tomato seedlings that will soon be ready to be planted out. My newest gardening excitement though is a raised bed I’ve been eying since last year. It’s stationed out-front of the apartment complex next to my house, and no one uses it! I have been planning to squat on it this summer, and I finally hopped to it a couple of days ago and put in some lettuce, carrot and cabbage seeds to see what happens. The bed is in the shade a lot of the day so who knows, but I couldn’t pass it up!
4. I have experienced and appreciated spring this year more than any other year I can remember. I like to go for long walks and runs around the wild paths near my house. Yesterday after work, I went out and found myself soon getting lost in the cool breezes that are always flowing through treetops this season. There’s nothing like a breeze to put me in a calm, joyful mood.
5. I’ve started volunteering at the local history library, and imagine my great delight to find out that the project I would be working on would involve spending long hours perusing amazing old photographs of the local University to help arrange them! I wanted to say, “Are you kidding!? You mean I get to touch and study pictures from 1880!? Sign me up!”
I’d love to read about some of your delights! Post them in the comments so we can inspire each other!